In most of the countries registration of marriage is mandatory. Due to lack of awareness most of the Indian married couples do not get themselves registered. Such couples often face difficulties in future.
How can you register your marriage?
You can register your Marriage either under the Hindu Marriage Act or the Special Marriage Act. Hindu Marriage Act is applicable for those couples who are Hindu, Sikhs, Jains or Buddhists. Special Marriage Act is applicable for those couples who are non-hindus.
Why do you think registration of marriages is important?
- It becomes a legal proof
- It helps when applying for a Visa
What are the required documents?
- An application form signed by husband and the wife
- Any document indicating the date of birth: birth certificate, passport, matriculation certificate
- Residential Proof
- Proof of stay in Delhi for more than 30 days- a copy of ration card or a report from the area’s SHO can be presented
- A marriage Affidavit is required that contains information regarding place of marriage and date, nationality, date of birth and the marital status at the time of marriage
- Two passport size photographs of both husband and wife
- A marriage photograph
- A copy of marriage invitation card, if it is available
- If the solemnization of the marriage takes place in a religious place like a ‘temple’ or ‘gurudwara’ then a certificate signed by the priest is needed.
- In case of a divorce or death of the spouse a certificate is required
- A conversion certificate is needed only in case of Hindu Marriage Act
- If a foreign national party is there no objection certificate from the embassy is needed